tottenham versus stoke
tottenham versus stoke Introduction
tottenham versus stoke Tottenham move to within two wins of a first major trophy since 2008 after seeing off Championship Stoke City in the Carabao Cup.
tottenham versus stoke Stoke City 1-3 Tottenham Hotspur: Jose Mourinho's side one win from finaltottenham versus stoke Gareth Bale has scored three goals in three different competitions since returning to Tottenham - the Premier League, Europa League and Carabao Cup
Tottenham moved to within two wins of a first major trophy since 2008 after seeing off Championship Stoke City in the Carabao Cup.
Gareth Bale's third goal since returning on loan from Real Madrid saw Jose Mourinho's side take the lead, the Wales forward beating Andy Lonergan with a flicked header from Harry Winks' wonderful delivery.
Spurs were dominant and should have scored more before half-time but Lonergan, part of Liverpool's title-winning squad of last season, made good saves to twice deny Dele Alli as well as Harry Kane.
Stoke were much better after the interval and equalised with their first shot on target when Jacob Brown picked out Jordan Thompson to produce a controlled finish past Hugo Lloris.
But Ben Davies' 25 yard finish in-off the post ensured Spurs regained the lead before Kane lashed home his side's third goal.
Tottenham avoided holders Manchester City in the semi-final draw and will now face Championship side Brentford in early January in a one-off tie.
- Latest from Wednesday's EFL Cup action plus semi-final draw
- Why Kane is the ultimate team player - Alan Shearer analysis
- Bale 'back in love with football'
- EFL Cup semi-final draw
Spurs get the job done
Thirteen months after Mourinho's appointment, Spurs are within touching distance of a long-overdue trophy after doing the business on a wet and windy night in the Potteries.
They were given a scare when Thompson levelled but their quality saw them over the line as they returned to winning ways after losing top spot in the Premier League.
Mourinho, looking to win the cup for a fifth time with a third different club after three triumphs at Chelsea and one with Manchester United, made seven changes but showed how seriously he rates the competition by starting the likes of Kane and Lloris.
It was Bale who set them on their way as he scored in consecutive appearances in the competition eight years and 53 days apart, with his previous goal coming against Norwich in October 2012.
The tie would have been over before half-time but for Lonergan.
Despite losing Bale to a calf injury, Spurs moved up a gear after conceding thanks to Davies' first goal since September 2017, ending a run of of 111 games without scoring in all competitions, before Kane found the net for the 16th time this season following Moussa Sissoko's threaded pass.
However, Mourinho was visibly upset with Stoke's equaliser.
Former Crystal Palace and Republic of Ireland striker Clinton Morrison, who was at the match for BBC Radio 5 Live, said: "Before that goal Dele Alli tried a flick. Jose Mourinho went out to the touch line and said 'your flick has cost us that goal'. There's going to be more to that. Jose is not happy."
Lonergan shines but with no reward
This was one of Stoke's biggest games since losing their place in the Premier League in 2018 yet they failed to produce a single shot in the opening 45 minutes.
Michael O'Neill's side were much better after half-time and scored a fine equaliser before being undone by the visitors' quality.
O'Neill, who was without three keepers because of injury and another who was cup-tied, gave Lonergan his first competitive game since March 2019.
Lonergan impressed as Spurs threatened to take the tie away from the hosts in the first half.
O'Neill made it clear before kick-off that winning promotion back to the top-flight is the club's number one priority.
Having finished 15th in the Championship last season, Stoke appear to be moving in the right direction and currently sit seventh in the table.
They will hope for more big nights like this as they push for a Premier League return.
'Spurs showed their class' - what they said
Stoke City boss Michael O'Neill said: "We expected Spurs to come with a strong team, maybe not as strong as they started with, they have got quality all over the pitch.
"I thought we took a lot of credit for our performance in the second half, we equalised with a good goal.
"In the first half we were placid and timid and didn't affect anything at all. Spurs showed their class and quality with their finishes."
Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho, speaking with the Everton v Manchester United quarter-final still to be played, said: "To win this trophy we need to win two matches. But they are two very difficult matches.
"The teams that are going to be there are very difficult teams.
"Manchester City are very difficult. Brentford, for me, the way they play they are not Championship, they are Premier League."
Another semi-final for Mourinho - the stats
- Jose Mourinho has reached the semi-finals of this competition for the fifth time, going on to win it on each of the previous four occasions his sides have got to this stage (2004-05, 2006-07, 2014-15 and 2016-17).
- Spurs have reached the semi-finals for the second time in the last three seasons, eventually being knocked out by Chelsea in 2018-19.
- Stoke have lost each of their last six matches against Spurs in all competitions, their worst ongoing losing run against any side.
- Jordan Thompson scored his first goal in 42 appearances in all competitions.
- Ben Davies has scored his first goal for Tottenham since September 2017 vs Huddersfield, ending a run of 111 games without a goal in all competitions.
- Spurs striker Harry Kane has scored 10 goals in 11 games against Stoke in all competitions, making the Potters the 5th team he's reached double figures against in his club career.
Stoke return to Championship action on Saturday when they travel to face Coventry City (15:00 GMT), while Spurs have an extra day to prepare for Sunday's Premier League match at Wolverhampton Wanderers (19:15).
Player of the match
with an average of 7.10
- StokeStoke CityStoke City
- TottenhamTottenham HotspurTottenham Hotspur
More to follow
- Match Stats
- Live Text
- 37CollinsBooked at 30mins
Substituted forFletcherat 34'minutes
Substituted forVokesat 79'minutes
Substituted forPowellat 71'minutes
- 40Nna Noukeu
Formation 4-2-3-11Lloris2Doherty6D Sánchez15Dier33Davies5Højbjerg8Winks9Bale20Alli27Lucas Moura10Kane
- 6D Sánchez
Substituted forSon Heung-Minat 45'minutes
Substituted forLamelaat 66'minutes
- 27Lucas Moura
Substituted forSissokoat 66'minutes
- 7Son Heung-Min
- 45Alves Morais
- Darren England
Match StatsHome TeamStokeAway TeamTottenham
- Shots on Target
Match ends, Stoke City 1, Tottenham Hotspur 3.
Second Half ends, Stoke City 1, Tottenham Hotspur 3.
Attempt saved. Sam Vokes (Stoke City) right footed shot from a difficult angle and long range on the left is saved in the bottom left corner. Assisted by Nick Powell.
Attempt missed. Tommy Smith (Stoke City) right footed shot from outside the box misses to the right. Assisted by Steven Fletcher with a headed pass.
Attempt blocked. Steven Fletcher (Stoke City) header from the centre of the box is blocked.
Foul by Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur).
Jordan Cousins (Stoke City) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Attempt blocked. Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur) left footed shot from the centre of the box is blocked. Assisted by Son Heung-Min.
Foul by Ben Davies (Tottenham Hotspur).
Nick Powell (Stoke City) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Attempt saved. Danny Batth (Stoke City) header from the left side of the box is saved in the top left corner. Assisted by Harry Souttar.
Attempt missed. Steven Fletcher (Stoke City) header from the centre of the box misses to the left. Assisted by Tommy Smith with a cross following a set piece situation.
Foul by Erik Lamela (Tottenham Hotspur).
Jordan Cousins (Stoke City) wins a free kick in the attacking half.
Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur) wins a free kick on the right wing.
Foul by Nick Powell (Stoke City).
Erik Lamela (Tottenham Hotspur) wins a free kick in the attacking half.
Foul by Danny Batth (Stoke City).
Goal! Stoke City 1, Tottenham Hotspur 3. Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from the right side of the box to the high centre of the goal. Assisted by Moussa Sissoko.
Corner, Tottenham Hotspur. Conceded by Harry Souttar.
Navigate to the next pagesrc="https://next
Navigate to the last pagesrc="https://forward
- MOTD Top 10: Who are the greatest Premier League captains?
- Radio 1's Festive Live Lounge: The best Christmas songs performed by the biggest artists
Join the conversation
These comments are now closed.700 comments
Comment posted by Terry, at 20:14 23 Dec 2020Terry20:14 23 Dec 2020As a Stoke supporter for the last 50 + years i just want to say well done to Spurs & good luck for the rest of the season.
Reply posted by He only tried to save it, at 20:17 23 Dec 2020He only tried to save it20:17 23 Dec 2020to TerryHe only tried to save it replied: A genuine post. Thank you
Comment posted by Morty, at 19:25 23 Dec 2020Morty19:25 23 Dec 2020Cue the Spurs haters....... "it was only Stoke" "it's only the league Cup" "they'll get beat in the semi" there ye go lads, I've saved you the bother.
Comment posted by Theres always next season, at 19:26 23 Dec 2020Theres always next season19:26 23 Dec 2020Terrible officiating again Son was clearly well on side just from the different cuts of grass luckily didn’t affect the result
Reply posted by Meh, at 19:32 23 Dec 2020Meh19:32 23 Dec 2020to Theres always next seasonMeh replied: I know! I complain about VAR normally but just shows it has its perks sometimes!
Comment posted by Googly, at 19:36 23 Dec 2020Googly19:36 23 Dec 2020An assistant ref's job is not to guess. They're only supposed to flag offside if they clearly see a player is so.
The degree of error in disallowing Son's goal is unacceptably poor. Most people who are paid to do a job and perform that badly are rightly sacked, but football officials seem to be exempt.
Reply posted by Harry, at 19:40 23 Dec 2020Harry19:40 23 Dec 2020to GooglyHarry replied: It’s rank incompetence. Thankfully it wasn’t significant on this occasion
Comment posted by Plain aim, at 19:48 23 Dec 2020Plain aim19:48 23 Dec 2020COYS!
Let's be pleased for our club, players and supporters, for a generally decent first third of the season.
That doesn't need to include crowing over opposition fans or gloating at the predicament some of our rivals find themselves in.
That nonsense is best left to bitter from the usual group of clubs, including the serial trolls who pretend to support whoever!
We are Spurs. Rise above it.
Reply posted by Hampshire Spur, at 19:50 23 Dec 2020Hampshire Spur19:50 23 Dec 2020to Plain aimHampshire Spur replied: Respect mate.
Comment posted by Pickers72, at 19:25 23 Dec 2020Pickers7219:25 23 Dec 2020Potential banana skin at a cold and windy night at stoke passed with flying colors COYS
Reply posted by Lets Agree To Disagree, at 19:47 23 Dec 2020Lets Agree To Disagree19:47 23 Dec 2020to Pickers72Lets Agree To Disagree replied: If you consider beating an average Championship side 'a test passed with flying colours' then your level of ambition is very low.
Comment posted by old_git, at 19:30 23 Dec 2020old_git19:30 23 Dec 2020The gulf in class was evident but at least Stoke had a go.
Reply posted by Sussex by the Sea, at 20:31 23 Dec 2020Sussex by the Sea20:31 23 Dec 2020to old_gitSussex by the Sea replied: Not like the other night against Leicester 😀
Comment posted by Michael Gilbey, at 19:27 23 Dec 2020Michael Gilbey19:27 23 Dec 2020A decent enough performance, but could they do it on a wet Wednesday night in... oh, never mind...
Reply posted by SammyValenteno, at 10:01 24 Dec 2020SammyValenteno10:01 24 Dec 2020to Michael GilbeySammyValenteno replied: Bale should now be played up front as a striker, not a winger. Ronaldo has extended his career by doing this. It seems the natural thing to do once on the wrong side of 30 and having lost a yard or two of pace.
Ronaldo and Bale are similar in style and both have the experience and ability to be most effective in the box, where just a few inches of space makes all the difference.
Comment posted by Hampshire Spur, at 19:27 23 Dec 2020Hampshire Spur19:27 23 Dec 2020Well done lads and jose. Ironic stoke fans favourite song is delilah and our welsh lads bale and davies score. Why no VAR? Son goal fine. Last mention, fair play to trippier getting banned. Had a pop at poch selling him to atletico but tried to make money out of it. Always a legend poch.
Comment posted by DrCajetanCoelho, at 19:34 23 Dec 2020DrCajetanCoelho19:34 23 Dec 2020Congratulations to scorers Bale, Davies and Kane. Well played Tottenham.
Reply posted by The Citizen, at 21:03 23 Dec 2020The Citizen21:03 23 Dec 2020to DrCajetanCoelhoThe Citizen replied: Meanwhile, Everton being held at half-time.
Comment posted by nonbeliever, at 19:40 23 Dec 2020nonbeliever19:40 23 Dec 2020Good professional display by THFC. Jose also managed the game well.
Reply posted by Hampshire Spur, at 19:48 23 Dec 2020Hampshire Spur19:48 23 Dec 2020to nonbelieverHampshire Spur replied: Spot on. Brought on subs at right time.
Comment posted by Missingaflutter1, at 19:30 23 Dec 2020Missingaflutter119:30 23 Dec 2020Strange one. Stoke seemed to be going through the motions until we got so slow in possession that they got back into the game.. A player taking a shot from outside the area. A rarity for us. Take the win for Christmas COYS
Reply posted by scarabee, at 20:56 23 Dec 2020scarabee20:56 23 Dec 2020to Missingaflutter1scarabee replied: You are so correct. Our default position is to play much too slowly, something Mourinho needs to sort out.
Comment posted by GraemeL, at 19:26 23 Dec 2020GraemeL19:26 23 Dec 2020Wet night in Stoke? No trouble! COYS!
Reply posted by Wombat_LCFC, at 19:52 23 Dec 2020Wombat_LCFC19:52 23 Dec 2020to GraemeLWombat_LCFC replied: "a wet & windy night in Stoke...."
Is there any other kind?
Comment posted by factsonlyblue, at 21:25 23 Dec 2020factsonlyblue21:25 23 Dec 2020Sorry Arsenal fans ,I'm a Birmingham supporter and we are defo the poor relations to Villa at the min as you are to Spurs, I only like facts.
Comment posted by Oahu, at 19:31 23 Dec 2020Oahu19:31 23 Dec 2020That's a cool picture of Bale with his arms raised.
Reply posted by Kloppite, at 19:57 23 Dec 2020Kloppite19:57 23 Dec 2020to OahuKloppite replied: Oh Silly ! Can you not see, Balé is auditioning for the x-men movies !
Comment posted by Meh, at 19:30 23 Dec 2020Meh19:30 23 Dec 2020Thought Dele looked good, hope he can get a chance starting in the prem.
Reply posted by ThfC1979, at 19:33 23 Dec 2020ThfC197919:33 23 Dec 2020to MehThfC1979 replied: Looked good until he started to tire... then the loose flicks and attempts at tricks started to fail. Positive that he was given the nod to start tonight... unless Jose is putting him in the window for a January move on 🤷🏻♂️
Comment posted by L_M, at 21:03 23 Dec 2020L_M21:03 23 Dec 2020Some football fans will say Spurs won a mickey mouse cup if they win the competition - will they say the same if Man City win it like they did last season?
Reply posted by Hellobrian, at 21:10 23 Dec 2020Hellobrian21:10 23 Dec 2020to L_MHellobrian replied: Or did they say it all those times that LFC won it?
Comment posted by Harry, at 19:32 23 Dec 2020Harry19:32 23 Dec 2020Glad to be through, but...
Against a Stoke side missing their better players, it was pretty turgid. With the players we have, we should be doing more.
Quite a few players making themselves available for a move away through persistent mediocrity, but most of all we’re still playing with the handbrake on, which I’m sure is down to José’s methods.
Comment posted by nureyev, at 19:24 23 Dec 2020nureyev19:24 23 Dec 2020Slightly harder than it should have been but great to see feisty Coco back. We have lacked that in recent matches. Onward to the semi-final - COYS!
Reply posted by SammyValenteno, at 20:17 23 Dec 2020SammyValenteno20:17 23 Dec 2020to nureyevSammyValenteno replied: Great first half from Bale, but how can he be given MOTM for playing a half?
Comment posted by it aint the heat its the humility, at 19:23 23 Dec 2020it aint the heat its the humility19:23 23 Dec 2020A potential banana skin for the premiership team, in years gone by may have unfolded diffently particularly after the equaliser. Credit to Stoke for coming out and making a game of it. Tottenham come through a "cold and rainy mid week night game at stoke" Well done Tottenham.
- 1 brentford vs mu-MU chơi tệ thế nào trước Brentford? 13
- 2 link tieng ruoi-Link xem trực tiếp bóng đá MU vs Young Boys 3h00 ngày 9/12/2021 13
- 3 xem bong da truc tuyen vao roi-Những thống kê không thể bỏ qua sau trận Watford 2-3 Arsenal 13
- 4 xem sec vs nga-Link xem trực tiếp bóng đá Euro 2020: CH Séc vs Đan Mạch VTV6 hôm nay 13
- 5 lich thi đấu bóng đá anh Lịch thi đấu bóng đá hôm nay 8/9: MU vs Sociedad; Zurich vs Arsenal13
- 6 viet nam trung quoc u22 Đội nhà thua U22 Việt Nam, báo chí Trung Quốc ngán ngẩm13
- 7 Thông tin về trận Siêu cúp châu Âu 2017 Real Madrid vs MU siêu cúp châu âu 201713
- 8 Ronaldo lập hat-trick cho BĐN: Xứng danh trái cherry trên đỉnh chiếc bánh! bánh trick13
- 9 trương minh sang-Thể dục dụng cụ SEA Games 31 và khát vọng của HLV Trương Minh Sang13
- 10 chung kết aff cup lượt về VPF chốt lịch thi đấu lượt về, giải V-League 2022 nghỉ quãng ngắn để nhường chỗ cho ĐT Việt Nam13
- 1 tỉ số vietnam uae Dự đoán tỉ số kết quả Việt Nam vs UAE, 23h45 ngày 15/613
- 2 cách chơi đội hình đồ tể DTCL mùa 5: Hướng dẫn cách chơi đội hình Đồ Long Tái Tạo13
- 3 tướng mới aya Liên Quân Mobile: Tướng mới Aya chính thức có mặt tại ĐTDV mùa Đông 202113
- 4 kênh bein sport-Link xem trực tiếp MU vs Liverpool Ngoại Hạng Anh 2022 ở đâu ? 13
- 5 indo vs thailand trực tiếp-Trực tiếp bóng đá VL World Cup: Thái Lan vs Indonesia hôm nay 13
- 6 coquimbo unido vs-Nhận định, soi kèo Coquimbo Unido vs Cobresal 7h30 ngày 13/8 (VĐQG Chile 2022) 13
- 7 truc tiep quyen anh-Trận đấu quyền anh thế kỷ: "Độc cô cầu bại" Floyd Mayweather thắng điểm Manny Pacquiao 13
- 8 trực tiếp việt nam vs trung quốc-Đội hình chính thức Việt Nam vs Trung Quốc 0h00 ngày 8/10/2021 13
- 9 lịch thi đấu bóng đá vòng 10 Lịch thi đấu và trực tiếp V.League 2021 vòng 10: Pleiku vẫn nóng; derby Nghệ Tĩnh13
- 10 Điểm mặt những tiền vệ xuất sắc nhất thế giới năm 2014 các tiền vệ hay nhất thế giới13
- 1 kết quả sydney fc Kết quả HAGL vs Sydney FC: Đội chủ nhà thắng trận chia tay Cúp C1 châu Á 202213
- 2 salernitana đấu với inter Nhận định, dự đoán Inter Milan vs Salernitana, 02h45 ngày 5/3: Thời cơ bứt phá13
- 3 doi hinh thien xa dtcl Hướng dẫn cách chơi đội hình Thiên Thần Thuật Sĩ DTCL mùa 5 phiên bản 11.1013
- 4 thường châu u23 Ngày này năm xưa: Cầu vồng tuyết Thường Châu xuất hiện13
- 5 vietnam indonesia mấy giờ Chung kết U16 Việt Nam vs U16 Indonesia đá sân nào lúc 20h00 ngày 12/8?13
- 6 truyen hinh truc tiep cup c1 tren vtv3-Trực tiếp Cúp C1 châu Âu 2021/22 hôm nay 3/11 (Link xem FPT Play) 13
- 7 nam định gặp thành phố hồ chí minh Nam Định vs TP.HCM (18h00 ngày 14/4): Không còn đường lùi13
- 8 hình văn hậu Hậu vệ Đoàn Văn Hậu trở lại tập luyện cùng CLB Hà Nội13
- 9 Ajax 3-3 Bayern Munich: Đại tiệc bàn thắng ngày khép lại vòng bảng ajax vs bayern13
- 10 Link xem trực tiếp Đà Nẵng vs Hà Nội bóng đá V-League 2022 ở đâu ? truyen hinh ha noi truc tiep13